Sunday, December 4, 2016

L’appel du Vide



The call of the void. Night thoughts, lucid dreams, cloudy skies and clouded mind.
1. Cloudy Night - We All Together
2. Prelude - Millennium
3. Kaleidoscope - Peter Pan and The Good Fairies
4. Thinking is the Best Way to Travel - The Moody Blues
5. Sit With the Guru - Strawberry Alarm Clock
6. Dream Magazine - Svensk
7. Fool on the Hill - Lisa Miller
8. Why Don't You Just Drop In - Giles, Giles & Fripp
9. Gailing Made It - The Mission
10. The World is a Circus - Fiona Richmond & Anthony Newley
11. If I Had a Ribbon Bow - Fairport Convention
12. You're Too Incomprehensible - Tages
13. Oleh Oleh Bandu Bandong - Kevin Ayers
14. The Owl - Silver Apples
15. Balloons - Peter Pan and The Good Fairies
16. The Telegraph is Calling - The Pawnshop
17. Dr Root's Garden - Chrysalis
18. Baby Lemonade - Syd Barrett
19. Don't Turn Around - Birmingham Sunday
20. Some Velvet Morning - Lee Hazlewood & Nancy Sinatra


Back to my "normal" mode - I think, excluding the stuff I did recently for Near Mint, the last three mixes (including this one) have been of a piece or a trio with a bit of a theme running through it that I've been getting out of my system perhaps.  

Speaking of my recent guest mixes for Near Mint, I was pleasantly surprised to listen to The OST Show - also on Resonance FM, of course - and hear the wonderful Karminsky Experience guys as the guests, who I haven't really thought about for years (their last album - besides a couple of absolutely wonderful compilations of fun easy listening music - was about a decade ago; I purchased it on CD at a bookstore that is within walking distance of my current apartment that no longer exists - it's a CVS Pharmacy now), who played a flawless bunch of music - including some stuff very adjacent to some things I put together for Near Mint, including a track from John Rydgren's Silhouette Segments and some fantastic old drug panic samples.  Near Mint got there first!  (Ha ha.)  I also managed to come up with some absolutely horrible puns. (I found the pun competition a bit more difficult this week and didn't really get a "hit" in, though the one that I was most proud of, and that got the lovely engineer - who educated me on British puddings - to laugh the most, didn't get read - but that's really due to my "esprit d'escalier" and only getting mine in near the last minute; Jonny did say "I do like that you really tried," which is rightfully damning with faint praise - I'll do better next time!)

But enough of that!  I hope this mix is met with the approval of whoever, and I imagine I'll have another one soon (I find that I end up unwinding after working on my own stuff by organizing my collection, which lately has led to me setting things aside and making mixes, for better or (and?) worse), and Fun Fact:  On the Kevin Ayers song included in this mix, the wonderfully and almost nightmarishly batty "Oleh Oleh Bandu Bandong" (off the 1969 album Joy Of a Toy, which has not a bad song on it - and this song is not indicative of the rest of the album whatsoever), the female vocals are provided by some Ladybirds from the Benny Hill show.  Now I've got Yakety Sax stuck in my head.  Off to find an acceptable earworm to clear that one out.

No comments:

Post a Comment